A teenager from Finland had a special iPhone but it wasn’t special in a good way. Henri Helmisen, 17, was reportedly caught on video when his iPhone burst into flames.
In the video posted below, you can see the teenager walking across what appears to be a parking lot behind a building when the incident happened.
After walking a few paces, his pocket started emitting smoke. He did not notice it at first but when he did, he was frenetically reaching inside his pocket.
There isn’t any sound on the video as it is a video capture of a playback of security footage on a screen, but we imagine the phone would have given off some sort of a sound.
After reaching into his pocket in a fashion we can only describe as someone who’s scared, shocked and frantic at the same time, he threw away his iPhone to the ground. After that, his dad appeared on the video and checked the young man and the phone which was still emitting smoke.
Helmisen told SK24 that he is lucky he did not wake late that morning. In fact, if he did not ride with his father to work that morning, he says he would probably be sleeping beside the phone when it burst into flames.
This isn’t the first time an Apple iPhone has been reported to have spontaneously combusted. It’s also not very common given that Apple sells millions of the smartphones. Nonetheless, thinking you could be one of the very few and very unlucky owners of an iPhone which suddenly burns itself is intimidating.