The Samsung Galaxy S III superphone reported to have exploded last month may have been placed inside a microwave, Samsung has revealed.
In a post on the Samsung Tomorrow blog, the South Korean tech giant has revealed the conclusion of an investigation done by a third-party firm which was contracted by Samsung.
It appears that the device fell into water and someone tried to dry it by using a microwave oven. Bright idea, isn’t it?
“An external energy source was the cause for the GALAXY SIII that appeared to have heat-related damage.
The damaged device and additionally provided devices were examined and exposed to a series to tests. The investigation summary states that “The energy source responsible for generating the heat has been determined as external to the device” and “the device was not responsible for the cause of the fire.”
Additionally, the investigation results state, “The only way it was possible to produce damage similar to the damage recorded within the owner’s damaged device was to place the devices or component parts within a domestic microwave.”
“About Samsung Galaxy S3
I would like to retract my original statement. The damage to the phone was caused by another person, although they were attempting to recover the phone from water this later caused the damage shown on the phone. It occurred due to a large amount of external energy and there was no fault with the phone. This was not a deliberate act but a stupid mistake.
I am unable to comment any further.”
Meanwhile, Samsung posted the whole conclusion of the Fire Investigation UK report on the matter. Here it is as an image file:
What do you think of this latest development with this exploding Galaxy S III? Do you own the Samsung flagship smartphone? Have you experienced your device getting overly-hot? Tell us in the comments section below.